The American Conservative Union Foundation (ACUF) and CPAC are seeking a Policy Fellow to join our Center for Legislative Accountability (CLA). The CLA produces the longest-running conservative congressional scorecard as well as the nation’s first and only 50 state ratings program which scores all 7,400 state lawmakers across every policy area.
The Policy Fellow will assist the CLA team with its year-round legislative initiatives at the national level and across each of the 50 states. The Fellow will play a significant role in the production of the federal and state scorecards, including combing through over 105,000 bills introduced across all 50 states, reviewing legislative journals, bill text, fiscal notes, testimony, and researching local news to produce policy summaries on legislation.
The Policy Fellow will work closely with all members of the CLA team and report to the Director of the Center for Legislative Accountability. This is an in-person only position based just outside the nation’s capital in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Work hours are generally between 9am-6pm Monday through Friday, with some flexibility provided to individuals pursuing graduate and law degrees. Additional hours may be required during events such as the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC)
Duties & Responsibilities
· Conduct in-depth research on legislation introduced across the 50 state legislatures, including identifying key bills, amendments, and roll call votes for inclusion in the scorecards.
· Support the Center in the drafting of press releases, graphics creation and proofreading of scorecards prior to release.
· Assist with data management and maintenance of the CLA’s policy database – the largest conservative policy database containing over 19,000 policies and 16,000 lawmaker profiles.
· Oversee the award production and mailing process for both congressional and state ratings.
· Provide support to the CLA team for the upcoming 2023 CPAC National Conference, including managing lawmaker invites and department materials.
· Assist the CLA team with various administrative tasks as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
· Passionate about the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
· Strong understanding of the legislative and political processes.
· Extensive public policy knowledge and the ability to communicate the conservative position on the full spectrum of domestic policy issues.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with particular emphasis on Excel
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
Education & Experience
· 1-2 years of relevant policy work experience – ideally within a state legislature.
· Law or master’s degree preferred; bachelor’s degree required.
· Or a combination of education and policy experience.
Fellowship Duration and Compensation
· The length of the fellowship is 6 months, with the possibility to transition to a full-time position upon the conclusion depending on performance.
· Fellows are compensated at a rate of $20.00 per hour.