FLSA Status: Exempt
Collaborating closely with the Chairman and Executive Vice President, the Director of Government Affairs focuses on legislative initiatives and political issues at the Federal and state level in support of the ACU mission. The Director is also responsible for the operation of the ACU PAC and Super PAC.
The Director of Government Affairs reports to the Executive Vice President. This position is based in Alexandria, VA.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor and analyze relevant activity on Capitol Hill in the Executive Branch, and in the State Legislatures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field and make recommendations to the Chairman and Executive Vice President.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with key members of Congress, congressional staff, the Executive Branch, State Representatives, conservative advocacy organizations, and corporate partners.
- Write and direct letters to members of Congress and state legislatures either supporting or opposing legislation.
- Collaborate with the Communications team on news releases and public statements pertaining to legislative issues.
- Manage the operation of the ACU PAC & Super PAC. Meet with candidates for the U.S. Senate and House, research and analyze races and make recommendations for endorsements and campaign contributions.
- In collaboration with the Development Director, identify and pursue opportunities for maintaining and/or expanding the PAC & Super PAC funding base through donations and other funding sources.
- Participate in other initiatives relating to national and/or state legislative efforts as directed.
- Guide the development of the annual CPAC policy agenda in collaboration with executive leadership and event committees, including identifying discussion topics, discussion formats, and speakers.
- Maintain official records and documents, ensuring compliance with organizational policies.
- Represent ACU at conservative coalition meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Expert knowledge of Congress and the legislative process.
- Extensive experience in analyzing political races.
- Capitol Hill experience required.
- Experience in fundraising for PACs/Super PACs and substantive knowledge related to legal compliance.
- Keen attention to detail and the ability to maintain confidentiality are critical.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Professional manner.
- Possesses the professional courage and confidence to express his/her opinions and judgment with regard to organizational initiatives, even when they might diverge from the points of view of colleagues.
- Ability to work successfully individually or in a team environment, as well as to exercise sound professional judgment.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously in an environment where interruptions are common.
- Passionate about the principles of limited government, personal responsibility, and free enterprise.
Duties & Responsibilities
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience. To Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in PDF format to [email protected]:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
No phone calls please