The American Conservative Union Foundation (ACUF) is looking for a Policy Research Assistant to join our rapidly expanding team.
The Policy Research Assistant assists the Center for Legislative Accountability department on year- round legislative initiatives on a national level and in each of the 50 states. They are responsible for assisting with the production of ACUF’s state and Congressional legislative ratings, compiling and evaluating information collected though state and national-based contacts, and generating legislative scorecards for publication.
The Policy Research Assistant will report to the Director, Center for Legislative Accountability. This position is based in Alexandria, VA.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct in-depth research to understand the political, social, and/or regulatory implications of proposed and existing federal and state legislation.
- Support the Center for Legislative Accountability in producing ACUF’s state and Congressional legislative ratings, including aggregating Congressional and state legislative roll-call votes for compilation into matrices.
- Monitor and look for ways to improve upon the department’s system of rating Congress and all 50 state legislative bodies each session.
- Develop, assemble, and proofread information to be included in the state ratings while collaborating with vendors to produce the ratings guides.
- Broadly support the Director, Center for Legislative Accountability in furthering ACUF’s legislative objectives.
- Assist the Director, Center for Legislative Accountability with administrative tasks.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Keen attention to detail.
- Capitol Hill or state legislative experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with particular emphasis on Excel.
- Knowledge and experience with politics and regulatory and legislative processes.
- Passionate about the principles of limited government, personal responsibility, and free enterprise.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully individually or in a team environment, as well as to exercise sound professional judgment
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least 2 years of relevant work experience required.
To apply, please send a resume, two writing samples, and three references to David Patrick at [email protected].